Sunday, October 4, 2009

March of Dimes

Hi everybody. Nate and Alex's Mommy here. I just saw this article on the front page of CNN.COM - http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/04/premature.infant.deaths/index.html - and it absolutely broke my heart and reminded me how blessed, lucky, fortunate... however you want to describe it.... we are that we have BOTH Nathaniel and Alexander here with us today. Nate and Alex were born at 26 weeks.... 14 weeks before their due date... nearly 3 and 1/2 months early! That's an ENTIRE trimester!!

Last year I (with your much appreciated help) personally raised over $2000 and was #5 top walker in the Baltimore 2009 March for Babies. I know that the 2010 walk is still at least 7 or 8 months away, and the March of Dimes hasn't even released websites for teams yet to start raising money for it. But I have already decided to set my goal huge this year. I am hoping to raise $4,000 this year. $1,000 for every month my boys were in the NICU fighting for their lives. I know we can do it together.

So here is what I am asking for you. Let's truly make this year a "March of Dimes". I know last year a lot of you wanted to help me reach my goal, but the "wonderful" economy didn't allow you to. This year I am asking you to do what I did last year, throw your spare change into a jar. If you put even just a dime every day aside for the next 7 months, that over $20. And that's just for a dime a day.... imagine how much it could be if you threw in a few quarters, and nickles, and pennies.... plus a dollar or two you find in your winter coat when you pull it out as it starts to get colder. Last year I counted my change (and cash) Chris and I had thrown into a jar by my front door, and it was well over $100. Some days I would be wanting Starbucks, but instead of spending $3 on a coffee, I would go home and drop a couple dollars into the jar. Every penny, nickel, dime, quarter, dollar helps.

Please pass this blog entry on to EVERY one you know, moms, dads, grandparents, brothers, sisters, in-laws, friends, co-workers, church members, classmates, neighbors, your favorite Great Aunt Martha (hi Aunt Martha!), post it on Facebook, myspace, twitter, your blog, everywhere and anywhere you can. Also - just made yet another new blog, because this one and my baking isn't enough apparently - please come follow my progress to reach my incredibly high goal at - http://teamtwadsquad.blogspot.com/ Thank you so much for your support as well as all the constant love, prayers and well wishes that get sent out to my two wonderful sons!

~Caitlin!


Nathaniel a few days old
Alexander a few days old

Nate and Alex on their 2nd birthday!




1 comment:

VTJeanette said...

I have SO much change in my car and in my purses... I will start a jar for this year's walk! Looking forward to it already.